- Sophie Merry (YouTube sensation Groovy Dancing Girl) is the writer, director and star of a new 3D short film that will be premiering at Dublin’s Darklight Festival later this month. Sounds fascinating, here’s hoping it makes it across the Atlantic some day.
- Speaking of Darklight, the fest has just announced a new short film competition around the theme of Europe 2020. All entries have to be made available on the web, so I’ll keep an eye out and post the best ones here.
- Also heading to YouTube are the shorts to be filmed today and tomorrow at Renton FilmFrenzy in Washington State. Contestants get 50 hours to write, shoot, edit and submit their films. Watch last year’s winner on Vimeo, Cliché and Carter.
- The Austin Chronicle might be right; watching a short on your laptop ain’t ideal. But for those of us that can’t make it to the awesome program of shorts and comedy put on by The ShowGO! this Saturday down in Texas, there’s always the internet. Take a look at Scott Rice’s entertainingly odd Perils in Nude Modeling.
- Rihanna, building the anticipation for her upcoming “We Found Love” video, stars in a new short from Armani Jeans. It appears to be all about the drama of a quick wardrobe change in the back of a car, but it certainly is stylish.
- One more contest: Film School Rejects wants to send you to Sundance! The lucky winning filmmaker gets a trip to the festival, a ton of cash, and other fantastic stuff. The film will get featured on Playboy.com and BombaySapphire.com, which is a linking dilemma if I’ve ever seen one.
- Finally, FSR’s latest Short of the Day is a keeper. It’s not easy to match poetry to film, especially with the use of a voiceover. Your Crooked Heart hits just the right balance between W.H. Auden’s words and a late-night London lovers’ quarrel, with a neat zoological metaphor along the way. Go read the poem, too.